Saturday, February 15, 2014

I completely understand! You may find different results in instruments with different reed making st


If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before ruser you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Hello there SOTWers here i come again with more questions regarding Fox instrments. I'm into buying a new oboe and possibly a cor to go with it depending on some variables heheehe. But because i play in an instrumental band as well as classical stuff + doubling ruser wood seems not be a viable choice.Should ruser i also mention that i have some exams to enter higher oboe education next fall with Alexei Ogrintchouk who is the current principal oboe teacher. Down to Fox double reeds or Buffet Greenlines i would assume. Just as a fun fact, Alexei is a Marigaux artist(plays a 2001 series) and he laughed when a potential student started playing and withing 10 seconds her Cs started sounding spit warbly and he asked her...Buffet right? Yes she replied, and he started laughing as in .....(shite oboes)..... this was my impression (possibly not true heeheh) Buffets are really easy to try here in Europe but can't say the same thing for FOX oboes and cors. Only place i could find that carries them is http://www.foxproducts.co.uk/fox-300-oboe.php Price difference between Buffet and Fox is around 1000 sterling pounds in favour ruser of the FOX. Should i mention that i'm only interested in the Fox 300 or Buffet Greenline and if anyone ruser has tried the Fox 520 Cor Anglais as well. Has anyone tried any of these instruments and if so could give some thoughts on playability, ergos, sound-voicing(personal taste)??? I know some people have tried these instruments (oboeguy) and others but i'd like some deeper insights. And are FOX pro oboes-cors worthy of PRO use in every regard??? Thanks very very much for your time BORIS
IMHO there is a noticeable difference in the 300 and 400 in the Fox line from what I've noticed in playing my students' and my instruments, but it's not that big of a deal. They both sound great, but I prefer some of the extras I get with the 400 (split D ring, Bb Resonance I believe, and 3rd 8va). The intonation is wonderful on the 300 line, and sound quality is great, just dependent on a good reed. I will say that Fox's are a little less forgiving in the reed department than say a Loree. I've played the same reed on both instruments and a bad reed on my Fox was a great reed on my friends Loree (go figure...). The Fox keys feel great to my tastes, I'm not a big fan of the key placement ruser on other instruments I've tried. Fox's tend to be a bit heavier as well, which also goes for their bassoons. I tried a Buffet oboe too long ago and for too short of a time to remember what it was really like (and too young in my career), but an oboist friend of mine just bought one for college. He loved it. Tried it at Muncy's and picked it out of a few of them and fell in love. They're not bad instruments, but you have to find what is best for you. As for the Fox Cors, you might like them. I got to try one just to test it out for a friend while getting ruser ready for an audition. I thought it had some nice qualities, but didn't really care for the bocal, and the receiving end was a little bigger than the bocals I had at the time. If you don't mind a used instrument...find a nice, used Loree. They're wonderful instruments ruser (I much prefer ruser the older models over the newer ones), and will go for about the same price as the new Fox and Buffets. Good luck, and I hope this info was useful to you!
Always appreciate your opinion and info!! Cheers!! I believe the only difference but that i can spot between the 300 and the 400 model are the plastic vs grenadilla. The share the same specs.The ruser new Fox models come in a full conservatoire fashion, ala Marigaux 901, Loree c+3. What i may not like is the oboe being reed picky if it really is like that.Who knows, gotta try them out. If you say the tone is pretty good i that certainly is a relief in the sense that i would like it to be nearly as good as its wooden oboe counterpart, the 400 which many say is a hell of an oboe. Good ergos are important to me so that is certainly a plus towards ruser the Fox. I own a Cabart Loree bought around year 2000-2001 an d it's not a bad oboe at all, too mellow maybe, maintains the character despite pushing it to the edge which is not my cup of tea, i'd like my oboe to be at least a bit more flexible tonewise. My old SML Marigaux has a lot more personality ruser but is just like going through hell everytime i play it. Much too air needed along with a very tense embochure-air stream and oboe it already tough to make it harder ..... To buy a Greenline oboe i won't have to move too far, but flying all the way to the UK to try 2 (if lucky) Fox 300s .....well i'd just like to know if it would be worth it hehehehe.
I completely understand! You may find different results in instruments with different reed making sty

No comments:

Post a Comment